[EnMasse] Dispatch router metrics to hawkular

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Mon Mar 27 14:15:46 UTC 2017

On 27/03/17 10:33, Ulf Lilleengen wrote:
> I think the general approach with hawkular (and similar tools i've used
> in the past) is that components reports non-aggregated values that are
> tagged so that the various dashboards can aggregate as they wish based
> on the tags. For instance, for the broker, I report the messageCount
> metric from all queues, and it is tagged with broker name, queue name
> and address. Then you can created dashboards that display the metric
> aggregated accross multiple brokers, multiple queues or not depending on
> what you want.
>
> So with the router I would collect per-link metrics and tag them with
> i.e. connection id, link id, target address, source address.

Makes sense. We would also need role to be tagged. The direction could
be either a tag or imply a different metric (i.e. incoming-deliveries,
outgoing-deliveries). The logic for aggregating also depends on the type
of the address but I guess that can be retrieved separately.

What is the cost of the number and/or size of these tags, do you know?
For connections, the router doesn't really track any metric, but there
*is* lots of potentially useful information: the peer hostname/ip
address, container id, whether its ssl/encrypted (certain properties
might be as well). Would it be sensible to record information like this
as a tag? (Or would logging be a better option for that?)