[EnMasse] Dispatch router metrics to hawkular

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Tue Mar 28 09:32:57 UTC 2017

On 28/03/17 10:07, Ulf Lilleengen wrote:
> I think the type of information suitable for metrics are information
> that will be useful for the operations team that are monitoring the
> availability and performance of the system. IMO logging is a better
> alternative for metrics that are mainly used for debugging, and I think
> (though i've never operated messaging infrastructure..) what you refer
> to as potentially useful information is mainly interesting for
> debugging.

As an example, imagine if the statistics show bursts in the frequency of
message rejections on occasion and this is coming largely from a single
client. Being able to drill into the data and get the user/ip of the
client in question would be useful.

So, yes, on one level it is 'debugging' of a sort. I think of it more as
understanding how the system is being used. The monitoring console as I
see it is for this sort of general purpose troubleshooting, observation.
It does cover performance, but isn't limited to that.

> I also think that the set of metrics to report is something
> to be expanded gradually rather than putting too much there, because
> there is a cost for the metric storage.

Makes sense. So we should define what we actually want to show in the
first instance and then figure out what we need to record.