[EnMasse] Upcoming REST API changes

Rob Godfrey rgodfrey at redhat.com
Tue May 8 09:50:38 UTC 2018

On 8 May 2018 at 11:43, Gordon Sim <gsim at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/05/18 10:20, Rob Godfrey wrote:
>

>> On 8 May 2018 at 11:02, Gordon Sim <gsim at redhat.com <mailto:
>> gsim at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 08/05/18 04:17, Ulf Lilleengen wrote:
>>
>>         For addresses, the REST API also changes in the same way, making
>>         the addresses scoped by both namespace and address space. The
>>         metadata.addressSpace field will be mandatory now that it cannot
>>         be inferred from the URL path anymore.
>>
>>         Creating multiple addresses at once using AddressList is
>>         removed, as this is handled client-side when using the kubectl
>>         command line and not server-side. We could still keep it at
>>         server side if we think it will be of value.
>>

>>     To create 10,000 addresses, I think one request with a large payload
>>     might be simpler than 10,000 separate requests.
>>

>> Agreed - but I think this only makes sense in the context of creating
>> multiple addresses within a single address space.
>>

> Indeed. Controlling the set of addresses that make up an address-space is
> in my view the primary function. By instinct I actually prefer a model that
> only operates on the address-space as a whole rather than focusing on
> individual addresses.

I can see the validity in both - but for creating an address space I think
it should be possible to post a single "document" which includes the
address space definition and within it all the addresses.  (Always having
to send the entire document is painful when you have 10,000 addresses and
you only want to update one... and makes it easier to accidentally delete
addresses accidentally due to races between updates).

The address space is an entity which is also a container for other entities
(addresses) you should be able to mutate this either by resending the
entire document, or by modifying parts of the document using a hierarchical
path selector of some kind (i.e. a URL which talks to a subsection of the
larger document).

At some point we also need to consider whether we can also in some way
define security properties of the address space/addresses within this
document too.

-- Rob

Red Hat GmbH, www.de.redhat.com,
Registered seat: Grasbrunn, Commercial register: Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB
153243,
Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill