[EnMasse] enmass without qpid router for brokered addressspaces

Ulf Lilleengen lulf at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 07:58:45 UTC 2019

Hi Tom,

I'm assuming you're looking for a comparison between standard and brokered
address space types.

Apart from the fact that we do not yet support clustered brokers in the
brokered address space, I agree using a brokered space solves many use
cases. I am not familiar with what clustered Artemis supports and not, I
vaguely remember that subscriptions on topics need hit the same broker for
instance.

The main features in the standard address space that you wouldn't get in
the brokered is:

* direct address types, anycast and multicast, which is useful for
RPC-style messaging and situations where you don't need the temporal
decoupling a broker provides
* scaling the number of brokers on-demand, i'm not sure this can be done
live for broker clusters
* sharding a queue across multiple brokers (from next release this can be
done on 'small' queues as well, so you can have 1000 queues all sharded
across 3 brokers).
* router support a large number of connections (could be the broker does
too! i haven't tested, but it is a generally advocated feature of the
router)

As of now you can also spread routers and brokers across availability zones
if you've setup your Kubernetes cluster in multiple AZs with the standard
address space.

However, as you mention there is an extra level of configuration and
complexity of having the router into the mix, so I understand if brokered
makes more sense to you.

In the next few releases, we will be working on Address Space Bridging (
https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse/issues/2306), which will allow
you to bridge a brokered and standard address space in case you need a bit
of both!

Best regards,

Ulf