[EnMasse] LoadBalancer pending on minikube

Ulf Lilleengen lulf at redhat.com
Tue Feb 19 10:15:20 UTC 2019

Hi Tom,

At present, there is not support for HA in the brokered address space. In
Kubernetes a failing broker would typically be recreated within seconds, so
the only difference between that mechanism and the traditional backup
kicking in would be the slightly larger time window for clients to
reconnect.

We may support HA and Artemis clusters in the future via an Artemis
'operator' component (in development by some of the Artemis developers),
but I don't think this is something we will implement for EnMasse
specifically.

If you don't require full JMS semantics, the standard address space will
allow clients to keep their connection to the routers while brokers are
restarting, which is somewhat a bit more HA :)

Best regards,

Ulf

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 10:48 AM Tom Harris <tom.harris at ammeon.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ulf,
>
> That was a simple resolution :-) my bad for not trying the obvious.
> But now I have another question ...is there support to deploy Apache
> Activemq Artemis in a HA configuration i.e Live-Backup.
> There is a pre-configured  addressspaceplan "brokered-single-broker"
> ...what about multiple brokers defined in a HA configuration..?
> If not is there a recognized design pattern to follow..?
>
> BR
> Tom.
>

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 05:31, Ulf Lilleengen <lulf at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> On minikube, LoadBalancers will be in the pending state, as minikube is
>> not running an actual load balancer, but the service should still get
>> exposed. I noticed the same thing as you, however, that the minikube
>> service command does not print anything.
>>
>> However, running minikube service list seems to work:
>>
>> [lulf at pteppic enmasse]$ minikube service list | grep
>> console-qctoiu26ev-external
>> | enmasse-infra | console-qctoiu26ev-external       |
>> http://192.168.39.95:31871 |
>>
>> Remember to replace 'http' with 'https' in your browser!
>>
>> Note that on Kubernetes, you need to create a console admin user in order
>> to access the console (password 'password'):
>>
>> cat<<EOF | kubectl create -f -
>>  apiVersion: user.enmasse.io/v1beta1
>>  kind: MessagingUser
>>  metadata:
>>    name: myspace.admin
>>  spec:
>>    username: admin
>>    authentication:
>>      type: password
>>      password: cGFzc3dvcmQ=
>>    authorization:
>>      - operations: ["manage"]
>> EOF
>>
>> I've raised https://github.com/EnMasseProject/enmasse/issues/2345 to
>> make sure this gets documented.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Ulf
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 6:04 PM Tom Harris <tom.harris at ammeon.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> Please bear with me as I'm finding my way around enmasse and kubernetes
>>> and this issue may be something basic on my side.
>>>
>>> I was trying to follow the below example for version enmasse-0.26.2
>>> http://enmasse.io/documentation/master/kubernetes/
>>>
>>> I think I executed all steps, but my LoadBalancers are all <pending>
>>> and the following returns nothing.
>>>
>>>  minikube service console-cks83h1y5v-external
>>>

>>> kubectl get addressspace myspace -o
>>> jsonpath={.status.endpointStatuses[?(@.name==\'messaging\')].externalHost}
>>>
>>> Any help appreciated.
>>>
>>> Here is some kubectl o/p
>>>
>>> kubectl get pods
>>> NAME                                        READY   STATUS    RESTARTS
>>>  AGE
>>> address-space-controller-6659584688-cj6sk   1/1     Running   5
>>> 3d
>>> agent.cks83h1y5v-7fc896dbcb-vvn7p           1/1     Running   2
>>> 2h
>>> api-server-7448cdb9b9-hzbsp                 1/1     Running   3
>>> 3d
>>> broker.cks83h1y5v-84974b75d7-qsmjf          1/1     Running   1