Packaging question (new packager)

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Mon Apr 9 21:19:49 UTC 2007

Hello all.  Have been wanting to get involved with Fedora/CentOS for
some time, and though helping package up a few programs which I use
frequently would be a good way to get my feet wet.

I've built an RPM for 'remind', which is a pretty cool little
scheduling utility that I use in place of a GUI Calendar.

I have a few questions on the "proper" (Fedora) way that this utility
should be packaged up however.

remind includes a couple scripts: rem2ps, tkremind, cm2rem.tcl to name
a few that obviously would depend on TCL/TK being present on the
system.  Is the proper way to handle this to make a subpackage for
these few scripts (remind-extras or remind-gui, etc)?  Or, since remind
itself works fine without them, just to exclude them completely from
the RPM?  Or perhaps throw them in /usr/share/doc ...

Also, remind distributes their source with a source tarball name as
follows:

  remind-03.00.24.tar.gz

This corresponds with v3.00.24 of the program.  I've left this version
number intact in my spec file, but perhaps I should tuncate it to
3.00.24?  The naming guidelines don't seem to cover a scenario like
this.  I left it at 03.00.24 because it made my %prep and %setup steps
simpler. :)

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Ray