Relationship to existing 3rd party repos/CentOS/SL?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Apr 14 17:45:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 12:36:07PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> >What you are implying, is that your voting was effectively shooting
> >down cooperation and coexistance with other 3rd parties. I'm sure
> >other people that voted like you have a different interpretation of
> >their vote, at least I hope so.
> >
> >But at the very least this requires the clarification I asked for. Did
> >the other 4 people that voted against it also vote against working
> >with other repos? If so, then you are right, and it takes me a while
> >to understand it and get over it.
> >
> Fact: we voted against having it.
> Fact: you guys continue to use it (did you vote on it?)

Fact: The repotag only makes sense cross-repo, and repos using it was
because they wanted to

1) keep the package easily identified
2) not place themselves higher in any hierarchy

> Guess: If we asked you guys to get rid of the Repo tag in corporation
> with us, you'd probably say no.

Fact: The moment one repo starts dropping it, it doesn't matter
anymore, the system has gone bananas.

> Fact: We haven't asked you to remove the repo tag, we respect the
> decision making process that you used to use a repo tag but we came to a
> different conclusion for EPEL.
>
> Fact: the sky isn't falling.

OK, so back to the real questions I asked about general cooperation
and coexitance. Although I said I didn't want to talk about the
repotag you get back to it.

> If you have another problem, bring it to us and don't assume we'll be
> against you.  Obviously I can't speak for everyone but I take every
> decision seriously and based on its merit.  You're assuming this is just
> the start of EPEL completely ignoring 3rd party repos and it's just
> not.

Indeed, that is the suspicion that lies behind it. Several 3rd party
repo maintainers vouched for EPEL to carry a repotag and it was a pure
political thing to do. You can't hide behind technicalities when such
a call is being made. Not to mention that a repotag would even have
technical benefits, which was not what it was about at all.

> I will say the tone of the email that started this thread is not one
> of corporation, it's one of flame baiting and instigation, knock it
> off.

Just check the tone of your very own mail, you're chopping off all
quoting, but a "Hi," and tell people to "get over it", "knock it off",
you "take offense" and call other people's post as "flame baiting and
instigation".
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net