Collaboration

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Apr 25 13:24:14 UTC 2007

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Question1:
> If RPMforge has a perfectly working ClamAV for EL5, and if we are
> collaborating, why would EPEL build ClamAV?

You'd have to talk with Enrico Scholz, the ClamAV maintainer.  Perhaps
the RPMForge RPM did not meet his needs.
> Question2:
> If ATRPMS has a perfectly working nx/freenx for EL5, and if we are
> collaborating, why would EPEL build nx / freenx?

To my knowledge, they haven't.

> Answer to both ... EPEL wants to be "THE" Master 3rd Party repo, not
> just a 3rd Party Repo.  There can be no misinterpreting that, it is just
> plain fact.

I understand why this fear would exist.  Afterall there are hundreds of
extras developers.  We're not aiming to be 'the one repo to rule them
all'.  We're aiming to rebuild Fedora's extras packages for Enterprise
Linux.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the thread, but I will say
this.  The 3rd party repos are holding EPEL to a double standard.  Take
ClamAV for example.  Thimm, rpms.net, and kbs all have clamav RPM's but,
for some reason, you expect EPEL not to have one?

    -Mike