Relationship to existing 3rd party repos/CentOS/SL?

Wed Apr 25 23:07:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 00:13 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 02:51:50PM -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > So, am I making things worse if I decide to keep repotags?
>
> Only to yourself, you aren't harming anyone else by keeping them.
>
> > (because then I don't contribute so strongly to the predictable
> > confusion that some hope will highlight how repotags can be useful
> > for no additional cost?[*]). Sounds really really silly to me.
>
> The point is that this system only works if all (major) players
> cooperate. Once one decides to not play nice anymore this system is
> broken and starts damaging the ones that support it. At the end you
> will be the last remaining martyr. :/

My (potential) packages will be easily identifiable with just an rpm -q.
How is that bad? (for Planet CCRMA). Why is it best to hide if others
hide?

> That's why I went through endless lengths to have epel carry repotags,
> so we could live all together in the same ecosphere.

Yeah. Predictable result. I think it also took a long time for the
RedHat/Fedora/Extras distros to realize it is good practice to add a
_distro_ tag to all packages...

-- Fernando