RHN software channels & EPEL

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Thu Aug 2 09:12:32 UTC 2007

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> How about using the yum protectbase plugin ? With it, it would be
> trivial to make sure we never replace core/layered/other important products

That wouldn't prevent machine X having subscribed to no software
channels at all installing EPEL foo(-epel).rpm and then subscribing to a
channel providing RHEL foo.rpm.

IMHO, EPEL should stick to what it does best: Extra Packages for
Enterprise Linux, not Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux and The
Software of Those Channels You Didn't Subscribe to With RH.

If anywhere along the path say foo needs a lib or dep that is not in
RHEL, imho, foo shouldn't be in EPEL either -regardless of how EPEL
/could/ make it work. Rather make an effort to get the lib or dep in the
next RHEL release.

Just my $0.02

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen