openmotif in RHEL versus lesstif in fedora

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Aug 10 19:39:01 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 01:48:52PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Friday 10 August 2007 12:20:41 pm Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > There is a discrepancy between Fedora and RHEL, which is that there is
> > lesstif in fedora and openmotif in RHEL. Is it temporary or will it be
> > done the same in RHEL 6?
>
> openmotif is not licensed with an acceptable license for Fedora.  what Red Hat
> Does for RHEL is up to Red Hat to decide.  So to answer your question we will
> know what the status is when RHEL6 lands.

It would be nice to know before to be able to come up with something
that helps packaging, if needed. If RHEL uses lesstif, then there is no
need to do anything (in my opinion), if RHEL still uses openmotif, it
may be nice to have virtual provides, so it would be interesting if Red
Hat could communicate about that issue -- and better yet coordinate with
people interested with motif in EPEL and Fedora (like me).

And also (but it is quite unrelated) having openmotif used in RHEL
may be a reason to bring back this issue in fedora.

--
Pat