Fedora EPEL Package Build Report 2007-08-14

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Aug 16 04:49:43 UTC 2007

On 15.08.2007 22:12, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> buildsys at fedoraproject.org wrote:
>>> Packages built and released for Fedora EPEL 5: 77
>>>
>>> NEW arj-3.10.22-3.el5 : Archiver for .arj files
>>> NEW audio-entropyd-1.0.0-4.el5.2 : Generate entropy from audio output
>>> NEW cabextract-1.1-5.el5 : Utility for extracting cabinet (.cab)
>>> archives
>> Perhaps NEW packages can get automatically moved from "testing" into
>> the current release tree?  I know I'm still trying to build up all of
>> my Fedora packages for EPEL.
>
> This was brought up in #EPEL earlier today and I'd like to hear further
> discussion from people on the list.
>
> On the one hand.  EPEL has to get installed and its not hard for people
> to install both the EPEL and testing repo at the same time.  Some might
> argue that it discourages new contributors and new packages from being
> built.
>
> By pushing new packages, we are risking dep solving issues so our
> scripts would have to be changed (yet again).  Anyway, I'm right on the
> line with this one (because I'm happy to enable the testing repo)
>
> What do you the rest of you think?

/me votes for "leave them in testing"

The risk of broken deps is high with the current scripts. And even if
the scripts would catch it -- all newly build packages can have problems
on their own, so it's IMHO better to have a testing period for them.

BTW, in RHEL you also get new packages only with the quarterly updates
(like yum-utils in 5.1).

CU
knurd