To update or not to update...

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 16:18:16 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 17.08.2007 15:46, Michael Stahnke wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> I am enjoying this discussion.  Both sides have very good points.  As
>> for my opinion, I think that new packages
>>

> We more and more discuss two different things in this thread: "to update
> a existing package" and "ship new packages in stable directly"
>

>> can go to stable (assuming deps are there)
>>

> I'd be fine with this, as long as they have been in testing for a while
> (some weeks maybe) -- I consider "testing" a kind of beta-stage, that
> allows packers as well as others interested in EPEL to test the software
> before it hits the proper repo.

What we're really talking about here is QA.  Leaving things in testing
is sort of an automated way of doing QA.  We call it "testing" and
people know it might not work, they don't have any expectation that it
will work.  At the same time, hopefully, people are using the package
and reporting bugs.

Implementing an actual QA process is very difficult and requires a lot
of commitment.  And, unfortunately, shipping straight from build and
high quality "enterprise" stuff (even if its new packages) are just
conflicting ideas.  Though I agree, leaving packages in testing might
deter new contributors.  Its a tricky situation.

    -Mike