BUG: clamav packages badly broken

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 01:38:29 UTC 2007

On Dec 28, 2007 5:10 PM, Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 13:47:31 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
> > Just a few quick observations:
>
> Funny. The differerent design of the Fedora clamav packages has been a
> topic on various lists long ago. Actually, there's some rationale behind
> the complexity of the Fedora clamav packages: packager's decision based on
> security and versatility beyond basic clamav usage. The packages include
> %doc files. You can't avoid reading them. The packages are not compatible
> with Dag's packages. They have never been compatible with Dag's. This is
> no secret. They do work, albeit differently than Dag's.
>
> Unfortunately, the clamav users within the Fedora community have not cared
> enough about clamav in Fedora as would be necessary to either a) reach a
> consensus on how to package them, b) work with the original Fedora
> packager on enhancing them with a more convenient setup procedure, or c)
> do sufficient lobbying in order to convince Fedora Project leadership that
> something is "wrong" with Fedora's clamav packages and may need
> decision-finding on a higher level.

I had a couple of conversations along the above. Enrico's position was
it worked for him and that other changes were not what he had in mind.
While it could have been the time I asked about (during one of the
flame wars), translation issues, or the reality of it.. it was pretty
much either his way or someone else maintain it and all his other
packages. Since that was not what I was looking for.. I decided to let
it rest.

There has been a push to patch the EPEL packages to be more like the
DAG clamav ones for 'various' reasons, but it has been held up in
review for quite some time.