BUG: clamav packages badly broken

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Dec 29 12:29:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 19:20:56 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > flame wars), translation issues, or the reality of it.. it was pretty
> > much either his way or someone else maintain it and all his other
> > packages. Since that was not what I was looking for.. I decided to let
> > it rest.
>
> I don't know what are the approval criteria, but the following test must
> be passed by any package containing a daemon (service) before it's released:
>
> A package containing a daemon (service) must successfully execute
> "service daemon-init-script start" after the package has been installed.
> This command must launch a working instance of the daemon, with at least
> the basic functions enabled, the definition of "basic" depending on the
> daemon. No configuration changes should be required for that. Examples:
> Apache, Sendmail, Postfix, Squid.

That's not a paragraph from the Fedora Review Guidelines [1]. Worded like
that it doesn't make much sense. It cannot be a MUST item. There are
daemon services, which do require configuration steps before they would no
longer refuse to start. It wouldn't be of much value to just create a
daemon for the fun of it, a dummy daemon (which does nothing or waits for
configuration file changes), or a daemon that actually relies on defaults
to start a very limited or even insecure service on localhost. Even with
defaults, some types of services may be missing configuration values until
they would do something useful. Not every value can be guessed (especially
not services which must know remote server addresses), and not every
default value is helpful either.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ReviewGuidelines