Plan for todays (20070704) EPEL SIG meeting

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jul 4 09:22:00 UTC 2007

On 04.07.2007 11:02, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 10:05:03AM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 04.07.2007 09:48, Patrice Dumas wrote:
>>> [...]
> [...]
> As a side note I cannot find a mock config for centos to be used
> for mock builds of epel, [...]

$ repoquery --whatprovide /etc/mock/fedora-5-i386-epel.cfg
/etc/mock/fedora-5-i386-epel.cfg
[...]
mock-0:0.7.2-1.fc7.x86_64
mock-0:0.7.2-1.fc7.x86_64

This is on F7 -- the EPEL files where added around two weeks ago iirc.
Maybe it would be good to add them to the wiki as well; can't hurt.

>>> Keep in mind that I would
>>> like something easy, (like what rpmfind provides, for example) not something
>>> complicated (like download all the srpms and work out from the spec
>>> files):
>>>
>>> * find whether a package is in RHEL or not
>> Simply look at the CentOS dir like?
>> http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/centos/5/os/x86_64/CentOS/
> It is really the same than:
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/
> with all the subdirectories?
> (well is
> http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/centos/4/os/
> the same ?)

CentOS (round about) takes the SRPMs, strips/replaces some stuff that is
protected (trademarks for example) and rebuilds the SRPMs. Thus the
package names and the content should be the same (especially as they are
afaik aiming for compatibility in this regard).

There are some small differences; CentOS has everything in one repo
while in RHEL there are some packages only part of the Client or the
Server (for RHEL5 for example; it's similar in RHEL4 afaik).

The bottom part of this section
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#head-f1c2fc524be33cdc730200379a3814c3d80c0203
lists some of those differences. But they are not that important in most
cases.

HTH

CU
thl