EPEL, RHEL-5Server and RHEL-5Client

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 12 19:14:38 UTC 2007

On 7/12/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> A real long term solution might be to have a kind of dynamic exclude
> list (done by a yum-plugin with pre-generated lists maybe? no idea, just
> thinking loud) that would exclude all packages depending on
> python-imaging on EL5Server.

What would happen if, say, in the future RH rolls out RHEL-5YourMom
that includes a bunch of packages currently available in EPEL? Will
that mean that those of us who are reliant on those packages coming
from EPEL would suddenly lose them?

This is not a very good policy.

Actually, this is awful, since it means that unless I purchase
subscriptions to ALL RHEL channels, I will likely find that some
package is unable to install in Server due to missing dependencies.

We need a much better solution if EPEL is to remain useful and reliable.

--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Montréal, Québec