EPEL, RHEL-5Server and RHEL-5Client

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at bludgeon.org
Thu Jul 12 19:23:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 03:14:38PM -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
>  On 7/12/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> > A real long term solution might be to have a kind of dynamic exclude
> > list (done by a yum-plugin with pre-generated lists maybe? no idea, just
> > thinking loud) that would exclude all packages depending on
> > python-imaging on EL5Server.
>
>  What would happen if, say, in the future RH rolls out RHEL-5YourMom
>  that includes a bunch of packages currently available in EPEL? Will
>  that mean that those of us who are reliant on those packages coming
>  from EPEL would suddenly lose them?
>
>  This is not a very good policy.
>
>  Actually, this is awful, since it means that unless I purchase
>  subscriptions to ALL RHEL channels, I will likely find that some
>  package is unable to install in Server due to missing dependencies.
>
>  We need a much better solution if EPEL is to remain useful and reliable.

Would there be any problem with just replacing the EPEL version in the
EPEL repo with the upstream version if upstream decides to include a
conflicting package all of the sudden?

If the two packages were different enough, upstream could perhaps be
persuaded to include necessary changes to avoid breaking EPEL
dependancies?

Ray