resolution for python-imaging in EPEL

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 13:44:08 UTC 2007

I am not on this list yet, please keep me in cc replies.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:05:00 +0200
Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> BTW, I'd currently prefer to take the python-imaging from RHEL, lower
> the EVR (by using a "0." at the start of Release), and ship it in
> EPEL, so users of EL5Server have it available as well, and users of
> EL5Client or CentOS will get their normal package. Not ideal, but
> KISS and should work if nobody does stupid things.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't we supposed to /not/ be doing
offerings like this?  EPEL isn't supposed to be a way for RHEL
customers to get around their subscriptions, and we shouldn't be taking
packages from one channel and just offering them in EPEL so that the
rest of the people can have them.  That's a very easy way to get Red
Hat to put as much roadblock in EPEL's way as possible.

That said, somebody really needs to verify what I was told earlier,
which is customers of EL5Server can use RHN and subscribe to the Client
channels and get the content.  Perhaps not vice-versa, but in this case
it should be enough.  Before we go down the road of doom, lets verify
whether or not 5Server customers can get access to python-imaging
through RHN.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora