Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux (EPEL) Now Open

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jul 27 10:12:46 UTC 2007

On 27.07.2007 10:59, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Karsten Wade wrote:
>> If you use enterprise-class Linux (EL) distributions derived from
>> Fedora, such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux or CentOS, we have something
>> very exciting for you.
> [...]
>> Looking for a package not in EPEL or other questions?
>>
>>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ
>
> Could the FAQ specifically state that EPEL is not compatible with 3rd
> party repositories like RPMforge, ATrpms or CentOS Extras ?

In general: sure. But I don't want to name other repositories, because
that might be problematic from a legal standpoint for the Fedora Project
(just being careful here, not sure if I'm overreacting). So I just added
this to the FAQ:

----

Compatibility with other repositories

Mixing different RPM-Repositories that were not designed to be mixed can
lead to incompatibilities that often result in depsoving problems in yum
or up2date; sometimes it even happens that software is not working as
expected if libraries and applications come from different repositories.
EPEL is designed as add-on repository for RHEL and compatible derivates
and not to be mixed with other repos -- thus not mixing EPEL with other
repositories on the same system is the best way to avoid mixing
problems. Some people nevertheless do it -- the yum priorities plugin
can help to avoid the worst problems.

If you encounter a problem where packages from EPEL are incompatible
with another repository or lead yum or up2date to boil out during
depsolving please report a bug to Bugzilla; contact the maintainer of
the other repository as well. The EPEL project encourages its
maintainers to solve such problems together with the maintainers from
other repository's, to find a solution that is acceptable for both
sides. But there is no guarantee such a solution can or will be found in
every case, as technical solutions to solve a repository-mixing issue
might have side-effects or drawbacks for one of the repositories
involved, which it thus might not be willing to realize.
----

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#head-b631b303a0b54605688fd911f0f3dfc90676b5a0

CU
thl