packages that conflict with centos?

Thu Jul 26 13:49:05 UTC 2007

Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> On 07.07.2007 16:32, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>>> I for one am 100% in favor of including them in EPEL. At least because
>>> RH5 uses yum.
>
>> +1 (except centos-yumconf of course)
>
>> But we should not create trouble for CentOS, so I'm in favor of this,
>> what was said somewhere else in this thread:

>>> Why not just track their package with a lower Release?
>
>> CU
>> thl
>

> I have rebuilt the following packages by using those included in CentOS
> 4.5 and prepending a '0' to the release tag (and in some cases, adding a
> dist tag):
> createrepo
> python-elementtree
> python-sqlite
> python-urlgrabber
> sqlite
> yum
>
> For the yum package I also made a change to the yum.conf file which gets
> installed so that it looks at redhat-release instead of centos-release.
> CentOS users should not be installing these packages due to the lower
> release number, so this should work nicely to allow RHEL 4 users to
> install yum if needed.
>
> I've put all the SRPMs here: http://www.sheltren.com/epel/packages/
> The sha1sums can be found in sha1sums.txt signed with my gpg key.
>
> If these packages look good to everyone, I'm willing to coordinate with
> the Fedora maintainers to get these into EPEL.  If the maintainers don't
> want to maintain the package in EPEL, I am willing to co-maintain them
> in EPEL (or have someone else do it if anyone's interested).
>
> Thoughts, questions, comments?
>
> -Jeff

I would like to take the opportunity to publicly thank Jeff and Mike
McGrath for discussing this issue with the CentOS developers.

The CentOS devels think that this is a great solution to the problem.

Since I have complained loudly on this list for the lack of
collaboration in the past, I figured I should also praise a good effort too.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes
CentOS Developer