Results of LinuxTag Meetings?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jun 12 05:08:55 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 02:45:53PM -0700, C.M. Connelly wrote:

> Hi, Folks,
>
> Last I had heard, several people from EPEL, CentOS, and the other
> repos were going to meet at LinuxTag to see if meeting in person
> would help resolve some of the confusion, misunderstandings,
> mistrust, and other issues that haven't seemed to be resolvable
> via e-mail/IRC.
>
> How did those meetings go?  Were any conclusions reached?

We had a 1 1/2 h meeting, but there were no conclusions as such, but
it was nice to meet all people and attach faces and voices to the
email addresses. And yes, people in real life are really nice.

Personally I tried to discuss the high-level cooperation/compatibility
willingness existing, but no matter how often I tried to pull into
this direction the discussion wouldn't follow. It was too much about
the R.I.P. repotags again.

> From last week's steering committee meeting transcript, it sounds
> like the whole repotags issue appears to be moving ahead, which
> seems like a good step forward.

You think so? After the repotag fiasco I went through a lot of pain to
strip them of, so the damage is done. Also the issue showed the real
weakness of repotags: It takes just one non-conforming repo to kill
them.

> Can we look forward to better relations between EPEL and the other
> repos on other fronts as well?

I really hope so, but adding repotags to epel will not help anymore in
this - it's too late, repotags are dead and the pain has been
inflicted, in fact for me the revival of repotags would imply the same
transition pain again.

We need much higher level manifests like for example

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/RepositoryCollaboration?action=recall&rev=1

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net