Release and update procedure for EPEL

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 1 22:26:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 10:25:29AM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Thursday 01 March 2007 10:18:24 am Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > FWIW, the CentOS people I spoke to at FOSDEM were very much interested
> > > in the "fixed set, with bugfixes and security updates only" model.
> >
> > Well, in the world of clones you usually pick Scientific Linux for
> > point in time releases and CentOS for rolling ones, that's the typical
> > distinction between the last standing major clones. But some recent
> > development will raise a higher incentive to support the RHEL model
> > better within CentOS soon.
> >
> > But that makes our lives more miserable, because it pushes towards
> > backporting.
>
> Umm CentOS releases updates shortly after RHEL does. Im not sure what rolling
> releases you are talking about.

Roling in the sense of the minor release integer.

> or are you talking about CentOS plus or some such

No, that's something different, that's an add-on repo which goes
beyond cloning.

Compare

http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/4/isos/i386/

https://www.scientificlinux.org/download/

E.g. the range of 4.x versions. SL follows RH in maintaining each
point release, while CentOS kind of EOLs the previous point releases.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net