rename fedora-usermgmt?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Mar 5 14:58:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:45:05AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:

> >>Fact is:  fedora-usermgmt solves a (nitch) problem, regardless of
> >>whether folks agree with it's implementation.
> >>
> >>Imo, maintainers of epel packages, should be free to use it, if they
> >>wish.  It would be inappropriate, imo, to implement a blanket "no
> >>fedora-usermngt" policy in epel, unless, of course, no maintainer for it
> >>can be found for epel.
> >
> >Please no, it requires the admin's attention to setup some random
> >space in his user uid/gid space
>
> That's news to me.  My recollection of the last "usermgmt" debate was
> that if left unconfigured, fedora-usermgmt (essentially) is exactly the
> same as the usual useradd/userdel.  It only changes behavior when
> modified/custmized by admin.

That's news to me, too, but this more or less would just mean that the
bomb is delivered unarmed and just waits for an innocent admin to
press on the red knob. ;)

But more seriously, what exactly would fedora-usermgmt do, if asked to
allocate the "relative" uid 42? Ignore the request? The packager that
decided to use fedora-usermgmt over plain useradd -r must have had his
reasons to not let this be a random selection and still he finally
gets a random id.

The original intent of fedora-usermgmt was to deal with packages
requiring *fixed* uid/gid, so the fallback to useradd -r will be
breaking that package, or that package didn't need a fixed uid/gid in
the first place.

In a nutshell: Optional usage of fedora-usermgmt with a fallback to
useradd -r contradicts to the pupose of fedora-usermgmt.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net