rpms that just need a rebuild...

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Mar 7 06:46:13 UTC 2007

On 07.03.2007 07:03, Greg Swallow wrote:
 > [...]
> But I was wondering if there is room in the plans for a "EPEL-unstable"
> repository (or something like that), which is just an automatic rebuild
> of Fedora Extras 6 packages.  For instance I need ~15 php-pear-??? rpms
> for EL5 that I just rebuilt from the Fedora Extras 6 sources - no
> modifications to the spec files needed.

My 2 cent: It would IMHO make a lot more sense to have a second repo
that replaces stuff from the base or installs newer versions of gtk2 in
parallel to the one from the base; that would allow to ship newer
version of other programs that depend on newer system library, too.

But I'd say EPEL should focus on bringing up the main repo that doesn't
replace stuff now before thinking about thinks like that. And the Fedora
project is probably not the best place for this effort, too -- but I'm
optimistic that there will soon be another project where this will be
fitting in (more news to come, just be a bit patient for some weeks).

> By the way, I am not an Extras contributor, so I don't think I'd be
> allowed to be a maintainer just for EPEL, would I?

You can become a Extras contributor via the normal sponsorship way and
thus become a EPEL contributor, too.

There are also talks to get new contributors in as co-maintainers, that
have no access to the buildsys in the beginning. But we probably need
some technical infrastructure for that, that is not yet in place.

CU
thl