Release and update procedure for EPEL

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 8 02:05:25 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 07:59:27PM -0500, Russell Harrison wrote:
> At least if there is a plus, bleeding, danger, whatever repo, I can use
> either the protectbase, or priorities plugin to yum to provide some degree
> of security.

You only need these plugins if the repo were not split into
pure-add-on and plus/bleeding/etc. In the latter case you either
enable or not the "plus" repo - if you would additionally use any
plugin not allowing RHEL upgrades you would not enable a single
package in this repo.

Or phrased differently: These plugins effectively try to split such a
repo on the fly into pure-add-ons and replacing packages with the
latter being turned off. But it is much better to do the splitting at
the server-side as you have better control of what needs to go where.

We would first have to decide if we want to allow such replacing
packages (it's been a big no-go in Fedora-land), and if we would
answer this positively we would have to think whether in one or two
repos.

Personally I'm for allowing replacements when needed and placing them
(as well as any package depending on that replacement) into the
"plus"/whatever repo.

But it depends much on deciding whether we want to have stable API/ABI
in EPEL like plain RHEL has.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net