EPEL vs Fedora main

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 8 21:44:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 10:32:14PM +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 10:14:06PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >
> > Check the thread. After identifying that fedora-usermgr is not liked
> > by "probably" the majority around here it the issue was "escalated" to
> > be handled "upstream" in Fedora. If we had a quick voting here, we'd
> > be past this issue by now, while now we're waiting on something to
> > happen in Fedora-land. That's what I mean by being stalled.
>
> A quick voting here wouldn't mean anything, as I said in another place
> in the thread. There are other contributors that will certainly
> contribute to EPEL that are not there, among them major Fedora
> contributors that have relevant technical expertise on that subject.
> EPEL is barely existing, lets not pretend there is allready a community
> in place.

OK, so if we don't exist, what exactly is then our mandate here? Why
is there any traffic on this list?

This *is* the part of the Fedora community that *cares* about RHEL and
EPEL. And there were invitations sent to various Fedora lists where
contributors were invited to join up.

> The Fedora community is really existing. And also the majority isn't
> necessarily relevant. I have seen people being wrong against a
> consensus because their use case was different and they had have
> more experience on a subject.

If you don't trust the majority how will you get to some decision at
all? It's either a majority's call or a benevolent dictator's.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net