package stability

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Mar 8 22:03:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 09:40:41AM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> In my opinion this is a lesson that should be learned from Fedora
> Legacy. It takes a LOT of work to backport stuff.. and having un-paid
> volunteers do it is not something that will happen.

Why? If this also benefit to them, sure they'll do the backport.
One prominent reason, in my opinion why Fedora Legacy died is that
RHEL/Centos were better substitutes. There is no substitute for EPEL,
we can expect more volunteers. Debian is run by volunteers and they
more or less achieve that, I can't see why we couldn't.

> I do not know what the average bugs per package are that require a
> release. That would be a useful cost analysis to get an idea of how
> much a package support time and how many people are needed to support
> it.

For those packages that don't pass the benefit cost analysis, a
repo where ABI/API isn't important could be used (like EPEL testing, or
EPEL plus or whatever).

--
Pat