package stability

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Mar 9 00:11:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 04:56:50PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> I really hate to say this, but you may have answered your un-stated
> question with your first sentence. There are only going to be so many
> volunteers in the world, and the ones looking for stable have found
> themselves Debian a better substitute. And even then Debian is not a 7
> year stable environment. They are a 2-3 year stable environment... and
> getting security fixes for non-core packages have been a real pain
> last I heard from the Debian security people.

Debian stable is not a substitute like centos is a substitute for
fedora legacy for possible contributors.

Somebody maintaining an EPEL package may collaborate with debian people
and get their patches. That's what I do for the cernlib, for example
(and I take their patches for libnet). From what I can see on the
debian page, woody was maintained for 4 years. There are still 3 years
missing, though...

--
Pat