EPEL acceptance policy

Tim Burke tburke at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 22:39:23 UTC 2007

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> Well the one problem I can see that is a bootstrap problem.. if RHEL
> picks up some subset of EPEL packages for its own subchannel. However,
> that is really nitpicking something to death.

Good point.  In this case I think the package would naturally stop
evolving in EPEL, as the incentive for inclusion would be removed.
However, that transition (exit?) would be purely voluntary on the part
of the EPEL pkg maintainer ... as RH isn't going to "force" it.

Similarly, what to do if a package is included in RHEL5 but not in
RHEL4. I would think its fair game for EPEL to build the RHEL4 version
but not the RHEL5 version.