Repotag

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Mar 14 12:08:31 UTC 2007

Once upon a time Wednesday 14 March 2007, Dag Wieers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could you please add a repotag to your EPEL packages ?

We do we use .elX  as has been defined in the Fedora guidelines since it was
started

> I know you guys think you have enough authority to not require a repotag.
> And you generally do not care because the default policy will be to tell
> people other packages than EPEL are dangerous. (look at the release to
> identify a package)
>
> But by not tagging your packages, you take advantage of the fact that
> other repositories play nice and *do* tag their packages.
>
> But what will happen if I (and other repositories) start doing the same
> thing and drop the repotag ?
you are free to use .elX also  that is perfectly ok. if  you do i would ask
that you set the Vendor tag.  which you probably already do.

If you do a rpm -qi on a epel package you will get something like
rpm -qip nagios-2.7-2.el4.x86_64.rpm
warning: nagios-2.7-2.el4.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
217521f6
Name        : nagios                       Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.7                               Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 2.el4                         Build Date: Tue 06 Feb 2007
01:16:24 PM EST
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host:
xenbuilder1.fedora.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM:
nagios-2.7-2.el4.src.rpm
Size        : 4434495                          License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 02 Mar 2007 06:23:16 PM EST, Key ID
119cc036217521f6
Packager    : Fedora Project <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.nagios.org/
Summary     : Host/service/network monitoring program

> I don't know if I have to start threaten to make you see the light, but I
> strongly consider dropping the repotag if Fedora and Red Hat cannot play
> nice.

Seriously feel free to use the same disttag as we use.  Please help me to
understand better what it is that you want to achieve and what exactly you
mean  by tagging packages.

Dennis