Release and update procedure for EPEL

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 1 12:53:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 08:30:50PM +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
> FP! :-)
>
> Joke aside, I'd like to see which views we have on the release and
> update procedure to apply to EPEL.
>
> - Do we want a moving (and potentially breaking) set of packages which
>   is constantly being updated?

The CentOS way

> - De we want a fixed set of packages when a RHEL release is made and
>   focus on major bugfixes and security updates from there on?

More RHEL like

You'll find that people in favour of one will come from the respective
camp. *RHEL* customers are usually really fixated in using RHEL 5.3
and not something between 5.3 and 5.4. Same for Scientific
Linux. CentOS OTOH more on running the latests.

So, it's up to the target audience you want to please. I think RHEL's
fastrack may be a good model. You prepare packages for RHEL 5.(N+1)
and make it already available there. Users can then decide to stick
with minor release + security updates or slide on a rolling like
release from RHEL 5.N to RHEL 5.(N+1).

Maybe we even have to do that that way, if we want to claim full RHEL
support. Otherwise we may be enforcing different update models to RHEL
users than they have with RHEL pure.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net