remove fedora-usermgmt?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Mar 5 20:37:27 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 09:09:34AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> >The original intent of fedora-usermgmt was to deal with packages
> >requiring *fixed* uid/gid, so the fallback to useradd -r will be
> >breaking that package, or that package didn't need a fixed uid/gid in
> >the first place.
>
> The intent is to implement (quasi?) fixed uid/gid assignment within the
> 100-499 space, provided admin's configured it, so they'd have consistent
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> uid/gid assignment across their enterprise.

and add: "provided the admins configured it _the same_ across their
enterprise."

> Have I mentioned this is the wrong forum for this discussion?

Trying to solve this on the Fedora side may take ages as no one really
seems to be interested (or are you volunteering to take the lead). See
for example the ancient bug report that could had been the start to
solve this, furthermore this discussion has happened in Fedora space
often enough w/o anyone really interested.

Just let's not inherit everything. This for example seems like a good
candidate to not let pass our filters.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net