rpms that just need a rebuild...

Greg Swallow greg at runlevel7.ca
Wed Mar 7 06:03:51 UTC 2007

I admit I haven't been following all the EPEL discussion that closely,
so sorry if this has been brought up before...

Originally I thought EPEL was going to function more like how
centos.karan.org did, by just rebuilding Extras rpms on a ELx box, and
people would volunteer to fix any packages that wouldn't build
correctly.  But it seems to be more focused on taking stable versions
and only applying security patches...which is good, especially if there
are lots of volunteers.

But I was wondering if there is room in the plans for a "EPEL-unstable"
repository (or something like that), which is just an automatic rebuild
of Fedora Extras 6 packages.  For instance I need ~15 php-pear-??? rpms
for EL5 that I just rebuilt from the Fedora Extras 6 sources - no
modifications to the spec files needed.

By the way, I am not an Extras contributor, so I don't think I'd be
allowed to be a maintainer just for EPEL, would I?

Thanks,

Greg