package stability

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Mar 8 13:27:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 06:42:55AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:

> I'm with Mike here, that EPEL simply make a best effort, to be more in
> line with what (Fedora) Extras does.

As a user I enjoy centos for its stability, including ABI stability, and I
guess other also do. If adding the main EPEL repo breaks that I think it
will be of much less use.

In Fedora Extras there is a best effort to be latest and greatest. It is
the exact opposite, we cannot be in line with what is done for fedora.

Having packages packagers cannot reasonably commmit to keep ABI
stability in a separate repo under the EPEL umbrella would seem right
to me, however.

--
Pat