remove fedora-usermgmt?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Thu Mar 8 18:11:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 19:00:54 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Read closer: The above was splitting the use cases into such that
> would work with plain useradd -r and such that really require
> something more. You agree with the first set of packages, so let's
> focus on the latter:
>
> The packager has setup his fedora-usermgmt and indeed the uid/gid he
> requests in his local setup is predictable and works fine for him. But
> not on 99.99% of the users' system. There it goes "boom".

Explain further: why does it go "boom"?

Because the packager does not understand that the %uid in the spec file is
a _relative_ value, which is still predictable for the package _user_.

> And if there is no such package requiring more than useradd -r, then
> that's for the best, we can simply rip it off all 34 packages that use
> fedora-usermgmt ...

If those that would benefit from a fixed uid can get one.

> And the next worse illusion with thsi concept: The fixed uid approach
> makes mostly sense for uids that are spawning packages like say
> uid/gid apache. So if we assume we have need for such a uid/gid and
> one package gets installed before configuring and the other after then
> you get de-synced uid/gids on the *same* system.

That is not how fedora-usermgmt works. It is inserted at the
package/repository level, not at run-time when it would be too late.