remove fedora-usermgmt?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Mar 8 21:34:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 08:50:48PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 19:48:24 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > Explain further: why does it go "boom"?
> > >
> > > Because the packager does not understand that the %uid in the spec file is
> > > a _relative_ value, which is still predictable for the package _user_.
> >
> > For example. The bug is in different non-determinsitic behaviour this
> > package exhibits dependening on whether and how it is being
> > configured.
>
> So, in your scenario any package that does "useradd foo" goes "boom"?

No, not my scenario, but any scenario. There are two kind of packages:

a) packages not requiring fixed uid/gids: useradd -r is more than
   enough
b) packages requiring fixed uid/gids: fedora-usermgmt's default of
   going useradd -r breaks the promise of fixed or semi-fixed uids/gids

In neither case does fedora-usermgmt provide any benefit.

So, that's not only about seeking a scenario where it goes boom, it's
about seeking one where it makes sense in the first place.

And yes, iff a package requires a *fixed* uid/gid and used useradd -r
w/o the uid/gid breaks and goes boom just the same.

> [In an earlier mail you complained about fedora-useradd picking a uid
> that useradd would have picked by default, too.]

Yes, so? Do you see a contradiction anywhere? I complain about a tool
that is supposedly used for the *need* of predicting uid/gid that in
reality just calls useradd -r.

> > > If those that would benefit from a fixed uid can get one.
> >
> > Obviously none needs one otherwise the 99.99% of users would had
> > noticed.
>
> Users, who want the uids fixed *per site* would notice. Users, who want
> fixed uids per life-time of [backup] data and under consideration of
> complete reinstalls, would notice.

Would, but obviously didn't. Which means that there isn't really any
significant number of users.

> > Alternatively if a package does need one, then obviously none
> > of the 99.99% of users uses this package.
>
> That might be true. Nobody has said that the package's target group is
> big. It is no silver-bullet. It has negative sides, too. Don't focus
> on fighting everyone who doesn't fight fedora-usermgmt.

No, my focus is on building something that is rock-solid for 99.99%
(and more) of the userbase out there. Not about a dozen users ...

> > So anyway you turn it you will find that this machinery is unused
> > overkill "fixing" something that isn't broken.
>
> Depends on the definition of "broken". Restrictions and missing
> features can be seen as one form of breakage, too.

The current situation with fixed/non-fixed uid/gid isn't ideal, I
agree 100%, but this kind of fix/workaround just makes things worse by
pretending to fix something that it doesn't fix.

> > > That is not how fedora-usermgmt works. It is inserted at the
> > > package/repository level, not at run-time when it would be too
> > > late.
> >
> > What? It does run at package installation time, right? That's far
> > from being repository level. To put the above example in very
> > simple words: Install package A with "usermgmt"-uid 42, then
> > configure usermgmt, then install package B which will have a
> > completely different view of "usermgmt"-uid 42.
>
> It provides means to avoid that *if* you want that.

OK, I bite. Which means does it provide?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net