EPEL vs Fedora main

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Mar 8 22:21:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 04:13:25PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:

> Actually I'd argue that the average EPEL contributor is far more
> dedicated / knowledgeable then the average Fedora Extras contributor.

That's just nonsense. The average Fedora Extras contributor doesn't
count. In Fedora Extras there is a very limited number of very dedicated /
knowledgeable contribuors who weight far more than the mass of fedora
extras contributors who do almost nothing. The EPEL contributors
are a subset of the active Fedora contributors.

> This is nothing against Extras, its just that EPEL has attracted a
> special kind of extras contributor.

True, but there are very experienced, dedicated and knowledgeable Fedora
Extras contributors that haven't allready raised their voice in EPEL.

> >The first mail on the list date from Tue, 27 Feb 2007! 11 days ago!
> >It would be wise to rely on Fedora support for some time.
> >
> Actually EPEL has existed for close to 7 months now.  Some conversations
> about it took place even before that.

It was not really opened before a few weeks. There wasn't even a place
to discuss about guidelines. Fortunaltly there was this core of people
who didn't wait for the commitement of the community to begin things,
but it is only the beginning of the building of the EPEL community.

> We're not new, additionally the
> core SIG is extremely experienced in the Fedora workings.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/SIG

I won't argue against that. I know who is who in fedora too. And major
contributors aren't there already.

> The relationship between red hat and fedora is not completely clear.
> Heck, even the merge of core and extras isn't 100% clear.  From what I
> gather fedora-usermgmt won't work in RHEL4 (from the authors words).
> So, IMHO, its done.  There's nothing to discuss.  If upstream changes it
> so its compatible then we can examine it at that time.  But right now,
> we have no choice but to remove it.

It is available in RHEL5. We have choice.

--
Pat