remove fedora-usermgmt?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Mar 10 17:15:17 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt schrieb:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:31:56 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> Axel Thimm wrote:
>>> User management is delicate and fedora-usermgmt is not the way to go.
>> It solved a problem afaics, that we have no better solution for in RHEL5.
>
> It doesn't. It adds a feature that can be enabled on demand. The feature
> fixes a problem, but since the tool is not enabled by default, it doesn't
> fix anything for us.

Okay, then let me rephrase: fedora-usermgmt can be used to solve a
problem if the local admin wants to do it; fedora-usermgmt works the
same way as useradd would if not configured and should do no more or
less harm then useradd for users.

Does that match better?

> There are other reasons why EPEL might not want the tool. Naming them is
> left as an exercise once all the critics have understood what the tool does
> and how it works.

/me still would like to see good reasons to ban it...

/me sill wants this problems solved in Fedora-land once (e.g. in both
EPEL and Fedora)

CU
thl