remove fedora-usermgmt?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Sat Mar 10 17:42:17 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:15:17 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Michael Schwendt schrieb:
> >> It solved a problem afaics, that we have no better solution for in RHEL5.
> >
> > It doesn't. It adds a feature that can be enabled on demand. The feature
> > fixes a problem, but since the tool is not enabled by default, it doesn't
> > fix anything for us.
>
> Okay, then let me rephrase: fedora-usermgmt can be used to solve a
> problem if the local admin wants to do it; fedora-usermgmt works the
> same way as useradd would if not configured and should do no more or
> less harm then useradd for users.
>
> Does that match better?

Yes.

> > There are other reasons why EPEL might not want the tool. Naming them is
> > left as an exercise once all the critics have understood what the tool does
> > and how it works.
>
> /me still would like to see good reasons to ban it...

For instance, but probably not limited to:

- It is a wrapper around a system utility (user{add,del}/group{add,del}).
- It is not particularly convenient to turn it on at install-time.
- Non-standard user/group maintenance tools are not supported in RHEL.
- Two set of tools, different possibly conflicting behaviour (if enabled).
- You need people to maintain the package/tools for many years.
- You need to keep it alive for many years, since offering it implies
that your users may deploy it.
- The relative values in pkg scriptlets are misleading as they look
like constants, e.g. fedora-useradd 42 joe  is not like  useradd -u 42 joe
- It is not pretty, see e.g. "fedora-useradd --help".
- Has it seen enough QA before it's made available to the target group
of EPEL?