RFC: Package maintenance and update policy for EPEL -- take 1

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Mar 15 05:52:21 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm schrieb:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 06:45:01AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> kernel-modules further are not allowed, as they can disturb the base
>> kernel easily.
> Are we sure we really want that?

I think so. Red Hat asked patiently for this, too, but I had this on my
list beforehand anyway.

> The same argument applies to any
> daemon as well,

I'd like to disagree. Userland processes are clearly separated from each
other normally. But each kernel module has access to the whole kernel
space and  can do a whole lot of damage everywhere -- on purpose or
accidentally. That often is not obvious in error messages and thus a big
problem for debugging.

> and kernel modules are considered an added value by
> most RHEL consumers (but not RHEL kernel developers ;)

I'm sure there will be another repo soon where add-on kernel modules for
EL-Distributions will find a home.

CU
thl