Repotag

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Mar 15 12:16:09 UTC 2007

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> On 14.03.2007 12:49, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > Could you please add a repotag to your EPEL packages ?
> > [...]
>
> <disclaimer>I don't care much about having a repotag or not: I'm fine
> going with or without one.</disclaimer>
>
> I think this decision is in the hands of the Fedora Packaging Committee,
> as that was set in place to maintain packaging guidelines across the
> different Fedora repositories -- that was Core and Extras in the past,
> now it's the Fedora Repository and EPEL afaics.
>
> I talked to some members of the Packaging Committee on IRC. Seems a
> repotag is unwanted. I can accept that. If somebody inside or outside
> EPEL or Fedora dislikes that it's best to bring this issue up on the
> Packaging Committee list fedora-packaging:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-packaging/
>
> I can forward the issue there, too, but I'm not going to advocate for
> either side in this game (¹). Those that care have to do that themselves.

The problem is not a Fedora one. Since Fedora is considered a distribution
and the distribution never has a repotag. EPEL is not part of the
distribution and therefor does require a repotag to identify where
packages come from.

At least if you believe in the purpose of a repotag. If you don't and
cannot envision what would happen if no repository ever had a repotag,
then there lies the problem.

If I hadn't a repotag, my nagios-packages would be numbered the same as
the EPEL packages. Including the same release tag. If people then have
problems, nobody could tell from the output whether this was an EPEL,
non-EPEL, RPMforge or other package.

The only reason why EPEL now can 'assume' that this is an EPEL package is
because most of the other players play nice and use a repotag. For that
reason EPEL should have a repotag. It is as much a community-member as the
other repositories.

This is an EPEL issue, not a Fedora issue. Why could there not be a rule
that says Fedora packages do not have a repotag, but EPEL packages will ?

Kind regards,