Repotag

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Mar 19 15:10:35 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > I know you guys think you have enough authority to not require a repotag.
>
> authority has nothing to do with it.  Point is: is it a good or necessary
> thing?

Well, the discussions have proven that EPEL considers itself upstream.
And that a multi repository world is not wanted. I know this mindset
exists and this is one of the reasons why I think Fedora is badly
positioned to decide over RHEL packages.

> > And you generally do not care because the default policy will be to tell
> > people other packages than EPEL are dangerous.
>
> imo, you're making a false assumption here.

That is what happened with Fedora Extras. RPMforge has been badmouthed
because it was not upstream and a lot of FUD has been spread. In the end
all the actions proof that a multi repository world was never wanted and
we are now stuck with suboptimal tools that do not allow things that are
perfectly valid.

> > I don't know if I have to start threaten to make you see the light, but I
> > strongly consider dropping the repotag if Fedora and Red Hat cannot play
> > nice.
>
> threats will only harm your position/argument, so I'd recommend you don't.

Whatever. All the arguments have been made in the past without any
treaths. If the only extra argument I can make is that I drop the repotag
just to follow Fedora's EPEL policy than that is what I will do.

Just think of the consequences, whether you consider that a threat or not.

(Apparently you only joined late in the discussions and someone pointed
out my initial mail to have a change of opinion :))

Kind regards,