rpms that just need a rebuild...

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Mar 19 20:41:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 06:01:33PM +0000, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 19:38 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > It would be very interesting to have a uniform way to provide RHEL-addon
> > > packages that are unsupported. This would help people who want to
> > > evaluate things on RHEL that are available on Fedora, but aren't in a
> > > state that can be supported by EPEL's or RHEL's standards.
> >
> > Then better massage them to meet those standards?
>
> It's mainly an issue of how fast those projects change upstream and how
> mature they are, not so much one of packaging. I.e., you want to make it
> easy to try them out on RHEL even when you know that they change too
> rapidly to guarantee API stability etc.

If it's that experimental and changing then perhaps it's better off in
some packager's private repo like p.r.c etc.?

Otherwise putting it in a repo where we usually put stuff for doing QA
for either updates for the current RHEL release ("updates-testing") or
even for an upcoming ("rawhide") would not be that good, as we'd like
to draw testers to these repos.

Just to get the picture about what degree of maturity you are
targeting: Where would you place such projects if it were about Fedora
and not RHEL? Rawhide, current Fedora release or not at all?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net