Completely OT: Remove disttag from EPEL and Fedora ... (was: Dropping the repotag)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Mar 20 09:32:08 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 12:41:51AM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 23:54:21 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > %dist bad? How come?
>
> It has been beaten to death in past discussions with several
> real-world examples.

The *real-world* examples are half of Fedora and the sum of all 3rd
party repos comprising several thousand packages outweighing by far
the packages that still resit to disttags. So please no academic
examples, disttags have proven extremely useful no matter what you try
to imply.

> > It gives us nice upgrade paths w/o juggling through several
> > *different* specfiles per distro
>
> That's a myth.

You myth is a myth. A meta-myth, so to say.

> > just for the sake of human-controlled and human-error-prone
> > housekeeping.
>
> *lol* How some packagers rely on %dist when copying a spec from devel to
> older branches, creates nothing else than chaos.

Stop exaggerationg please. Even if you can point out one or two messed
up backports, it would had been quite worse if the packager had to
restart guessing how the non-intuitive rpm ordering works, to set up
the upgrade paths. rpm ordering twists your brain and disttags aid in
keeping your brain sane.

Please, this discussion is an echo from the past on the wrong list and
on the wrong topic. This is about whether EPEL wants to add a repotag
to the disttag, not whether EPEL is going to remove disttags or
whether Fedora will do so.

> It is long ago since we've talked about forms of cooperation and
> collaboration for the first time.
>
> Yet it is still not carved into stone anywhere as what cooperation exists
> actually.

Yes, because people like you resisted and still resist on any kind of
cooperation.

The repotag costs nothing and is yet a political vehicle to signal to
3rd repos that EPEL is willing to cooperate.

You are trying to find all kind of excuses to have EPEL go a route
where it will become isolated, and you will be returning and will say
that there was no cooperation. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

Don't torpedo the cooperation efforts anymore, please.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net