EPEL report 2007, week 19

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun May 13 08:06:15 UTC 2007

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano schrieb:
> I do. But maybe you are just asking for "I do"'s from list participants
> that do not have a third party repo?

Actually I'm interested in opnions from everyone; but I'm especially
interested in opnions from Fedora/EPEL contributos.

> Rationale for support has been
> already hashed to death in many threads.

And others that don't see a sense or benefit in repotags  (or even think
they do harm) have expressed their opinion as well.

>>> Just some clarification.  Yes, FESCo overall didn't see a good reason to
>>> use repotags.  If EPEL chooses to do so, FESCo won't stand in the way.
>> FYI: I was a bit against repotags in the past, but my position these
>> days after all this discussions is similar.
>> Or, to be more verbose: If someone works out the details on how to
>> realize repotags in Fedora then (depending on how the proposal looks
>> like) I'll likely abstain from a vote or might even support to use
>> repotags, as long as a simple "cp FC-6/foo.spec EL-5/" remains possible.
>> But I don't have the energy to work out the details. Anyone willing to
>> work them out?
>
> I presume this is internal help? (meaning how to tweak the build system
> to support them transparently without any impact to the spec files
> themselves?)

No, more meaning: Find a technical and political solution that is
acceptable for EPEL SIG and the Fedora Packaging Committee (and FESCo,
if it wants to ).

And let me warn you: there seems to be a opposition against repotags on
that way from what I can see, so this process might take weeks and
likely lots of discussions and mails. There are high chances to get
frustrated and burned out on the way afaics.

Actually realizing what got decided in the end is probably easy.

CU
thl