repotags proposal

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Sun May 20 23:29:02 UTC 2007

On May 20, 2007, at 9:49 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> The EPEL Steering Committee gives this agreement only as long as
> following points are meet by the technical solution:
>
>  * it must remain possible to simply copy spec files between Fedora
> and
> EPEL branches without modifications
>
>  * no hacks to the buildsys or modifications to the rpms after their
> initial creation
>
>  * the repotag must be used my all packages
>
>  * no abuse of the disttag

Hi Thorsten, thanks for the proposal.  I think that using some macro,
such as %{?repotag}, or even just %{?repo} would be a good start.  It
is very easy to implement, and the same specs could still be used in
Fedora without any problems (AFAICS).  Adding it to the dist tag does
not make sense to me.  However, I am curious to know why you are
against some sort of patch to the build system?  It seems that could
also be a nice possible solution.

Aside from my question about having the build system handle the
repotag on its own, I am mostly
+1 for your proposal.

-Jeff