Log from yesterdays (20070523) EPEL SIG meeting

Michael Stahnke mastahnke at gmail.com
Fri May 25 00:52:38 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 05:48:23PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > 00:00            --- | knurd has changed the topic to: EPEL Sig meeting
>
> I won't quote, since it is more a general impression than something that
> was clearly said, but it looks like to me that EPEL is taking the route
> of the 'world repo domination'. There is some limited will to work with
> other repos, but only to attract their developpers.
>
> If it is so, this should be communicated clearly and it is completely
> ridiculous to say something in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/RepositoryCollaboration
> and something else in the meetings. Nobody voiced against that document
> although it looks like it doesn't reflect the state of EPEL.

It should be noted that these points of contention are not viewed the
same among all members of the steering committee, and certainly not
all members of EPEL.  The writers of that RepositoryCollaboration
statement were not all that involved in this discussion.   The lack of
cooperation made me uncomfortable yesterday, and continues to make me
uneasy today.  I moved to open source to work with the best minds in
the industry, worldwide.   I know not everyone is going to get along
all the time, but if we can identify high-level goals and work toward
them, everyone should and would benefit.  Sadly, we are caught in an
endless debate that morphs into flaming and hard-feelings.

I don't have an answer right now to the problem (and the problem is
well beyond repotags), but I do hope one emerges in the near future.
Currently the userbase  is the most affected by this lack of
cooperation, and they should be the most important.

stahnma