wither clamav?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed May 16 18:11:16 UTC 2007

Ok I am going to step in it big time.. but I want to have a frank
discussion but try to avoid a flame-war.

clamav seems to be frozen to 0.88.x for a while in Extras, but is no
longer supported upstream. I understand the reason for Enricho's
freezing it, but I think that I would like a more modern version of
clamav in EPEL before it gets published. There are a couple of items I
would like to address:

1) The versions in Fedora and RPMforge/AT have drastic differences in
layout of packaging etc that cause problems for administrators.

2) There are issues with moving from 0.88 to 0.90 but they would not
be an issue for a 'fresh' EPEL versioning.

Is there a way for 'branching/naming' a different layout of Clamav
that could be an 'import (with proper attribution) of the Forge
version with changes to meet any differences between the packaging
guidelines?

Since I am the one sticking his bare feet into the pile of elephant
diarrhea here.. I would be the sponsor, etc.