dag, axel somefrom from centos, let's please meet on LinuxTag (Re: Log from yesterdays (20070523) EPEL SIG meeting)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat May 26 09:36:23 UTC 2007

Hi all!

On 24.05.2007 18:43, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2007, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> [...]
> Secondly, someone brings up that both atrpms and rpmforge do not longer
> use a repotag, which is NOT true. We had the intention to drop it after
> Fedora/EPEL Refused to consider it. And now they use our intention (which
> is not yet policy) as a reason to refuse it.
>
> Sigh. Can someone hand me the cluestick ?

I'm willing to, because I'm quite unhappy with that meeting and some of
the statements that were made by EPEL Contributors and other Fedora
contributors -- I was not present during that phase of the meeting
(Sorry, real life); so in other words:

>> 00:39 <    mmcgrath> | If I removed this item from the schedule right
>> now... who would bring it up next week?
[...]
>> 00:40 <       nirik> | knurd: would you re-add it?

Yes, I would and sooner or later. But I'm unsure if we should have a IRC
meeting next weeks because afaics mmcgrath and I are on LinuxTag and
likely not near a keyboard (see also below).

Further: I'm actually so unhappy with the current situation that I'm
willing to invest even more work to get repotags in EPEL4 and EPEL5 and
will leave EPEL if we don't get them. I'd even go a step further and say
now that I'll leave EPEL if we don't find a peaceful way of co-existence
with Dag and Axel and CentOS. Maybe we can even get back to the drawing
boards and find a way to cooperate.

> It's nice that the meetings are done in an open fashion, it shows that the
> EPEL mentality is the same as the Fedora Extras mentality.

Please do not confuse opinions expressed by individuals with a general
"EPEL mentality". Sure, those people are part of EPEL, but in big groups
there are alway lot's of different opinions.

So, as I said, I'm quite unhappy with the current EPEL state -- just as
Dag, Axel and some others are.

I'd really like to find a way out of this mess. Dag (you are on LinuxTAG
afaik) and Axel (are you there or could we meet? maybe in the evenings
if that's easier for you), can we please meet one or two hours on
LinuxTag (Wednesday preferred) and find a way out of this mess that
afaics to a big part evolved because mail communication sucks. A real
life meeting maybe could get this mess solved. I'd actually would like
to have someone around that could speak for CentOS, too. But not much
more people as stuff might get confusing and unfruitful otherwise.

Dag, Axel, what do you think?

CU
thl